Hiring a lawyer can be a costly endeavour. Lawyers are generally encouraged to bill for any and all tasks related to your case, no matter how big or small. In some instances, the cost of legal fees becomes greater than the amount of money saved by hiring the lawyer. There are a number of strategies you can use to keep those pesky legal fees down:
- Organize all your supporting documentation and place them in chronological order. Make sure that the copies you provide are legible and that there are no duplicates. If you send the documents to your lawyer in random order, you should expect to be billed for the time it takes to reorder them. If possible, also convert your documents into an electronic format as many firms are moving toward a paperless work environment and scanning documents can be a time-consuming process.
- Create a detailed chronology of what happened and precisely when it happened. Refer to any supporting documents in the chronology (e.g., “on January 1, 2021, I received Email #1 from Person X”). It also helps to create a list of individuals involved in the dispute and describe their involvement. This allows your lawyer to more easily understand the timeline of events and to begin forming a legal argument as soon as possible.
- Make sure you are well prepared for meetings and phone calls with your lawyer. Before the meeting or phone call, write down all the questions you would like to ask your lawyer. Those questions should be clear and relevant. Avoid asking questions that could be answered with an internet search. Additionally, take notes of any important points during the meeting so that you can avoid the need to follow up with your lawyer. Time spent with your lawyer is extremely valuable and should be used as wisely as possible.
- Respond to your lawyer’s requests in a timely manner and never leave things to the last minute. Legal proceedings involve many time sensitive issues and deadlines. The more diligent you are in working with your lawyer, the more quickly the case can be moved along. Resolving a case quickly and efficiently is one of the best ways to prevent legal fees from building up.
- Expect to play an active role as a client. Don’t expect to be able to sit back while your lawyer moves the case forward and achieves your desired result, particularly if you want to avoid costly legal fees. Instead, take the time to try to understand the issues so that you can collaborate effectively with your lawyer to achieve your desired result in a timely manner. It is important to understand that it’s your file and that your lawyer works for you, not the other way around.
We hope you find these strategies useful. At Arora Zbar LLP, we use a progressive business model that allows us to provide exceptional legal services at affordable prices. Whether you become involved in a legal battle, incorporate a business, or purchase a property, we aim to make your experience as affordable and pain-free as possible.Read More